Thursday, August 20, 2009

New at "The Wall" - Ultronia Underwing

As soon as I saw this larger moth I knew it was something special. At least to me. The light has been attracting a host of smaller moths for the last couple weeks that I struggle to figure out and struggle harder to remember one night to the next. It s like attending that class reunion and recognizing the person but not quite remembering the name... Anyway the heat of the last week has been a welcome change from the cool damp summer of 2009. Activity has been increasing and I've found great enjoyment watching the Gray Tree Frog metamorphs climbing the "moth wall" to watch the show...


August 18th 2009 reached 91 degrees and the heat continued into the evening hours. I was enjoying the evening show between innings of the Red Sox - Blue jays Game (we won 10 - 9)
11:30 PM I was taking one last look at the wall for the evening when this handsome moth rolled in. I knew it was new to me and for the yard list... I first found it facing downward on the lower wall. It took a while to get him to open his hindwings for a photo but he finally managed to cooperate after about a dozen blurred shots... I'm ID'ing this one as Ultronia Underwing Catacola ultronia


Tough getting up at 5:00 AM for work when all this action is happening outside your window... I'm becoming a big fan of afternoon naps...



dave@dhsmall.net
http://dhsmall.blogspot.com/


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]



2 comments:

  1. Those forewings are gorgeous! You won't mind if I just hang out by your moth wall all night sometime, would you?

    ReplyDelete